Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Have You Heard about “Tae Mong”?

“Tae Mong” is a Korean word that means a dream of forthcoming conception. “Tae” means becoming pregnant and “Mong” means a dream. Koreans believe this and before they will get a baby, they predict it by dream. It dreams by a pregnant woman herself, or sometimes it dreams husband and close relatives. “Tae Mong” is different from a common dream. If you dream this, you never forget and it is too clear to escape your memory. Also, it is dreamed about special things. Besides we can guess a baby’s sex what does appear in a dream. If the baby is a boy, you will dream tigers, pigs, dragons, bears, bulls, horses, cranes, clams, comb which is made from gold, and so on. On the other hand, if the baby is a girl, you will dream about fish, peaches, deer, lotus flowers, jewelry, carps, turtle, small colorful snakes, moon, some fruits and so on.

My “Tae Mong” is dreamed by my father. This is the story. When my father lost in deep grand mountain, he tried to find a right way. Suddenly he looked red fruits, so he got near to the fruits. He looked those in detail. He was surprised because those are the fruits that a mountain ginseng’s. He dug those up carefully and he felt very happy and excited. As soon as he dug those up, he works up. Few days later, he knew my mother was pregnant.

Actually, I dream “Tae Mong” a one time. When I was 18 years old, one ordinary night, I fell asleep and dream. In my dream, my cousin was walking a forest path. Then, she found a big pig which is very handsome. As soon as she found that, that runs. She tried to catch the pig, but that is so fast. She could not catch it and finally, it disappears from her sight. She was disappointed, but in that time a woman who was coming to her gave seven big red ripen peaches to her. When she got those peaches, I woke up. It was distinct, so I told to my mother. She thought it was “Tae Mong”. Surprisingly, two weeks later, my cousin was pregnant and the baby was a girl.

Do you have something like this in America?

3 comments:

Anas... said...

Actually, I don't any thing about it. in my country, the people don't believe it. Maybe, it is true. However, maybe it is sixth sense. Why not!

Michael Jumonville said...

Hey Su Hyun,
We don't have this tradition in the U.S. We talk about premonitions, a type of flash of prediction about the future, and they can come in dreams, but we don't have a particular belief in pregnancy dream premonitions. It's amazing. And it seems to be true. Maybe it's a Korean speciality like kimchi.
Thanks for writing.
Have a great day.

P.S. I suppose some girls get worried when they have a dream like this.

Unknown said...

I'm pregnant and my father had a dream that 2 snakes crawled up his shirt in his backyard garden. He was a little scared of getting bit and woke up. I guess this means its a girl if the tae long is right? We shall see in another 6 months!

I also had a dream that I was sitting in a lagoon and suddenly a wave came over me and I was covered in snakes and turtles. This was years ago before I ever got married or pregnant. Hmmmm....